Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 30
As you are likely aware, Bike to Work Day was postponed to Friday, May 30 due to disruptions caused by the recent wildfires. We hope that you will join thousands of San Diegans and bike to work on Bike to Work Day, Friday, May 30.
With more than 1,340 miles of bikeways in the San Diego region, biking will get you where you want to go. Participating in Bike to Work 2014 is a great way to save money, get fit, and be environmentally friendly. That morning, stop by one of 97 pit stops to pick up a FREE Bike to Work Day t-shirt and refuel with free snacks and plenty of encouragement.
Get ready to ride. Bike to Work Month is a great time to refresh your bicycle safety skills. Practice these helpful tips every time you ride:
- Plan your trip in advance. Visit the new San Diego Regional Interactive Bike Map.
- Stay alert and aware of vehicles around you.
- Use caution and appropriate hand signals when stopping and making turns.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- If it’s been a while since you rode, visit a local bike shop and get a tune-up.
- Watch for sharrows. Sharrows are a guide to help you position yourself safely in the travel lane. Ride in the same direction of traffic.
- Stay out of the “door zone” – ride at least a door's width away from parked cars. If necessary, position yourself in the center of the traffic lane to stay approximately three feet away from parked cars.
Visit the iCommute bike webpage for more helpful tips. To register for Bike to work Day, log trips, or for more information, visit 511sd.com/iCommute or call 511 and say “iCommute.”
The iCommute Bike to Work Team